Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Camel Man

When I was a child I would day-dream about being an astronaut, climbing trees with monkeys, and finding a princess on a cloud. As these dreams fade and my waking life starts to seem like a fantasy, I see that our juvenile wishes are not the only things that can bring us joy in adult life.  Being an easily distracted youth my restless thoughts were constantly wondering. Now as a young man my restless travels take me wondering into experiences that even the creative mind of a child would not draw up. I never will walk on the moon, but I did spend a hand-full of days living the gypsy life.

You need two things to be a proper gypsy, one is a head wrap and the other is animal companions. During my time learning this life-style I put much effort into befriending a camel. Over five days I grasped tightly to the opportunity to help my gypsy friend take care of his animals and learn his way of life. The whole experience is an outstanding chapter in my book, but with the camel especially I have developed a story. Here is the flip-book version...




She is not so willing to let a new guy get too close 




You will learn to keep your distance; her size is quite intimidating




With time she will let you share an intimate moment with her 




Although this does not mean she won't quickly change her mind and try to take a bit




If you are lucky her Dad will let you ride her




But there is still a risk she will try to throw you




After a few dangerous conflicts with the camel I grew to fear her, so when she invited herself into the human living space I could do nothing but offer her some bread




The only one she will be obedient for is, Gorhan. Gorhan, The Camel Man has been traveling his life along The Silk Road, the gypsy way. He goes about in a fashion that some can not imagine. He travels with a donkey, a cat, a hawk, goats, dogs, chickens, and a quail. Of course the camel too, who pulls his "camel-car" in which he sleeps and carries all of his possesions. He lives off the resources of the land as much as he can, all organically. He is a living inspiration for anyone interested in traveling or living with sustainability.  
Fresh goat's milk and honey soak his mouth each morning, but even out-side of society a man does not find complete bliss. I spent many hours listening to parts of his tale and I see that as he becomes more of an aged man the struggles of his life on the road come out through his physical health and attitude. Although he has faced many difficulties and finds his situation less hopful it is clear that his journey has lead him to be more spirit than man. 




"to live is to travel, to travel is to dream, to dream is to live"


3 comments:

  1. How terrific is this, gypsys, camels, sustainability, you are learning much my son, keep yourself open and peaceful, be aware of your surroundings and stay safe. All of our love is with you this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice metaphor for a feisty woman! Love tracking your travels, Nar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are writing a beautiful story for yourself Nar.

    ReplyDelete