Thursday, August 18, 2011

Finding Meaning

by: Nicholas 
There has been a change of plans for my worldly travel. I now seek opportunity and adventure without an equal partner. Naturally, emotions rise and fall depending on my thoughts; these thoughts vary in charge and intensity. Feelings can overcome and seem unmanageable, but I know that their form is truly impermanent. Just like the grey of an Oregon sky thoughts move on, as do the clouds, revealing a brilliant illuminated place. In that light, peace is discovered. Here, I find reason for journeying solo.


In the threshold of my own life transformation I captured this transitional sky from a rooftop at 17th and Mill St. Eugene, Oregon,USA. (Jan. 2010) 
Everything that happens has a purpose. This statement can sound like a cliche, but its meaning for me is not subjective. When a person says, "things happen for a reason," it is usually followed by the creation of a rational story to see an unfortunate event through a more fortunate lens. For example, in my case I might say, "Now I can travel alone and learn how to navigate the world with independence." This is defiantly a productive way to view my situation, but rationality is not the vehicle of my message.


The cosmos carry the intangible force that I mean to describe, and only the universe can tell the whole story. The very little I do understand becomes awakened when presented with challenge. My life situation, like all life situations, is an opportunity for growth. This is a chance to break the whirling cyclone of my past thoughts, actions, and diluted emotions. I strive to take this moment in which I have been hurt and prevent suffering. I refuse to let my unconscious see this as a defeat. Although I mourn the absence of someone that is deeply important to me, I know the energy within my absolute being is not altered by the loss. When I shift my attention to my core it becomes clear that gaining consciousness of my mind's patterns is the purpose. Strengthening the connection to this consciousness keeps me present in each moment. During my human imperfections I work to stay aware of my disconnect. Today I have an opportunity to awaken from my self-created negativity. I have a chance to dissolve a boundary that stands between my spirit and joy. Everything must happen for a reason because each instance on earth gives me a chance to become less identified with the stories my mind creates. 


*The new photo in the blog's header was taken during a past Barnstorming in Nicaragua (July-August 2010). The fertility and simplicity of my time there inspired me spiritually. The month I spent in Nicaragua, among thriving coffee plants, acts as a seed that grows and spreads through my life. The photo was taken near the village Chinendega at a beach hostel dubbed "Rancho Tranquillo." The night following this sunset displayed a celestial symphony. Falling stars danced a melody while lighting struck steadily as the beat. The above photo now serves as an icon for my own healing from painful events, and as a symbol of relieving suffering to allow being.

5 comments:

  1. We miss you Nick!! Safe travels!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your insight, thoughtfulness and mindfulness is an inspiration to all. I applaud you and Jennifer.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. i feel like i want to photoshop a dinosaur into your header pic....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your continued journey is a testimony to your strength, vision and insight into what you need now in your life..I applaud your conviction to move forward and continue to explore the world..BRAVO for staying on your course!! xox Nana

    ReplyDelete
  5. ti amo, sweetums. missing my friend a lot.

    ReplyDelete