Saturday, September 10, 2011

Mighty Oregon

Part of travel is noticing the differences between your 'normal' life and life on the road. As September progresses my internal clock indicates that it is time to make preparations for the old life it is used to. In my 'past-life' at this time of year I would be readying myself for University of Oregon academics and Ducks football. In honor of my Alma Mater, instead of covering myself in yellow and green, I share with you one of my first memories at Oregon. 

The chief stressful assignment for any U of O student is to navigate through the task of getting a ticket to the first football game. Although the era of camping out has come to rest, the treasure of admission into the sea of yellow is now much more complicated than a few easy clicks. Nonetheless, soaking slumber parties in the EMU lawn or the furious fasten to your laptop, the reward roars identically. No magnitude of watts can measure the voltage that is incased by Autzen Stadium. Without effort I can revisit the start of my evolution of becoming a Duck to the day of my first football game.


It was, as always, the most anticipated party of the weekend. Only the invited were in attendance; the ticket-less hidden in their dorms rooms with shame. Christmas morning cannot compare, unless you have fifty-nine thousand brothers and sisters racing to the tree. The feeling of game day is distinct.


As Dave, my LLC dorm roommate, and I trickled down our hall we merged with a larger stream of ducklings. As we marched past Carson and along side Hamilton the small sources grew into a babbling, barking brook of tenderfoot Duck fans.


By the time we reached the Willamette River the flow of yellow poured across the footbridge. Inconspicuous as a rookie, the flock took me over the river and through the woods. With each step I became more deeply embedded with the path, the people, and the present. Suddenly, I turned a bend and the unifying force caught my eye. Through the earth colored silhouette of trees the “O” made its first appearance. 


The sight of Autzen overwhelmed my soul. Joy, exuberance, fanaticism, and love penetrated my life. At that moment I knew I was a Duck.    


As a Duck your duty is to roar and rampage; to channel your vibrations into each game. I was quick to learn my role in the exotic Graceland north of the river. I wonder if kick-off reaches the same amplitude without me...


2 comments:

  1. well said nar! we will all be together in spirit today

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superbly written, I read between the lines, the lament of an era past, but the joy and spirit remain, never to be lost!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete