Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sundays, See-throughs, and Michael Jackson

by Jennifer 


Things I've discovered about France and French people:

  • The French love Michael Jackson. Not just a little bit, like "yeah, I love that guy", but a lot. On Bastille Day, France's day of independence, they had a small carnival in Villeneuve Loubet where, instead of French nationalist songs, or even French pop songs, 2 singer/dancers in sparkly dresses sang American songs such as "The Time of My Life" from Dirty Dancing and a ton of Michael Jackson. Instead of "Thriller" they sang "Chiller", which I think was a language issue and not an artistic choice. 1 of every 3 shops you go into will be playing Michael Jackson, and usually a whole CD, not just a mix. I'm not complaining, as I also love MJ, I'm just saying...it's a little weird.
  • French people cannot call me "Jennifer". No matter how many times I introduce myself as "Jennifer", it's only a mere moment until they call me "Jenny" and never stop. Why? My guess is that Jennifer "Jenny from the block" Lopez is to blame. Aye, dios mio.
  • The French like their clothes completely see-through. When I first happened upon a cute but transparent dress I thought "oh no, I can't get this. It's see through". Once I realized everything was this way (in both the south of France and Paris) I decided to give in. I bought a mostly see-through pink dress, and a see-through black top. They are both awesome, airy, and light. Viva la see-through!
  • Time really does equal money. On a Sunday, finally finding an open pharmacy after looking most of the day, I went to the counter to purchase my item for 6.90 euro, only to be told it was 10.90. "What?", I said, "that's not the price." to which the clerk replied "it is today, because it's Sunday, so everything is much more expensive." I put my item back. I will save 3 euros and pick it up tomorrow, at any pharmacy, because there are a million, and they are all opened on Mondays. I wonder then, do the employees get paid more to work on Sundays as well? I hope I didn't accidentally buy something else on a Sunday when the opposite of a sale happens. 

1 comment:

  1. Ah Jennifer, what is happening to the French culture, are they trading it in for an American "lifestyle". They say America is still too young to have a "culture", instead they say we have a "lifestyle". They also say the french are more comfortable regarding sex, hence, maybe, the translucent clothing is a reflection of this. Enjoy it all as, as we are, reading your accounts!!!!

    ReplyDelete