Sunday, July 10, 2011

Villeneuve Loubet

by Nick


We settle first 14 km west of Nice, France in a place dubbed Villeneuve-Loubet.  The magic of the farm is not seen through a broad lens. The treats of Fabrice's (our host) land are only witnessed through more narrow inspection. We walk through the garden and the simple-looking farm begins to reveal its treasures...


Dill and basil catch the attention of my nostrils. The tomatoes peak out from their vines like giant red blinking christmass lights as I walk down their queues.  For more presents one would have to dig even deeper, and I did, just under the soil, to find radishes in colors only seen on candy.  The seasoned air lifts me as I continue on through the length of the fields.


Although the gems of the garden are inspiring, each time they are taken in through the visual and olfactory system, the vegetables truly overwhelm my sense of taste.  The flavors of each vegetable sink into my mouth and deeper yet into my body. Every meal highlights another legume. The zucchini stand alone as an entree, tasting as if they were bathed in butter.  The sweet and full flavored tomatoes proved and example for others to follow while sharing their essence with all that are near.  The eggplant, not covered with breadcrumbs, marinara and parmesan, make me crave their savory meat. These vegetables are the best tasting I have ever had in my mouth. I will report back with Fabrice's secret I soon as I find it.


*The harvest and jet lag has prevented me from capturing these specialties on film but photos will follow shortly.

5 comments:

  1. Hey you two, nice blog!

    That's a pretty awesome picture in the snow. Eugene misses you and I hope you found a place for Derby Blue! Good luck with the big adventure and stop making me so hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick's great grandmother, Marcel Paten, met Nick's great grandfather, Joseph Avidano, in southern France during WWI and came back 2 years later to marry her and brought her back to NYC

    ReplyDelete
  3. wish I could taste those veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi you two,

    OOOOH..I can just taste the vegetables and feel the sun as you describe the day and the tasty pickings..sounds like a lot of work, but well worth every moment of the experience..keep the pictures and words coming..they're inspiring!
    xoxo Nana

    ReplyDelete